Printable download available at the bottom of this page.
Why use whole group discussion strategy?
- Reinforces importance of academic and conceptual vocabulary in career and college readiness.
- Reinforces vocabulary (particularly for English Language learners)
- Allows teacher to quickly assess what background knowledge students have about a topic.
- Provides comfort for students who may not typically use academic vocabulary with peers
- Word List
- Completed CERCAs
- Tally Sheets 4 sheets for each group of 6 students. Use additional sheets for more than 7 words.
Student Background Knowledge
- Knowledge of how roles/responsibilities of whole group discussions (i.e. good listener, think-pair-share)
- Select Vocab from CERCA Lesson Set.
- Have students complete lessons.
- Have students review vocabulary lists.
- Have students work in groups of six, two students per team. While two pairs discuss, the third pair of students will keep score using the tally sheet.
- As two pairs of students discuss the open-ended and debatable questions, they will receive a tally for each use of a CERCA word. Each team will be scored once by at least two students.
- This strategy serves as a reminder how to begin a CERCA. The overviews can be used to model summarizing of a topic.
- Focuses students on the topic of the CERCA Lesson Set for stronger argument writing
- Teachers ensure that all students understand both sides of the argument.