Printable download available at the bottom of this page.
Why use the Conferencing with Students strategy?
- Improves student writing techniques
- Strengthens students’ evidence and understanding of writing arguments and counter-arguments
- Guides teacher in preparing and choosing which minilesson may be needed next for the whole group
- Devices (computers, chromebooks)
- Clipboard/pen with roster for teacher
- Small group activities planned for dedicated time with each group after they’ve written their argument and before they submit their argument
Student Background Knowledge
- Familiar with the ThinkCERCA program
- Understands how to formulate an argument
- Have an argument and counterargument started
- Students independently work through the Cerca Lesson Set.
- During small group time, meet with individual students for 2-3 minutes and review their argument in-progress. (Meet with 5-6 students during a 20 minute group session)
- As you offer suggestions to students, keep track on the roster what comments/suggestions you made to each student.
- Analyze the comments and determine which minilesson the whole group would most effectively need next.
- Students benefit in receiving specific comments about their writing
(mechanics as well as argument/counterargument content)
- Teacher can identify areas to address with a minilesson.