Informational texts and literature to accompany Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising
The Dark Is Rising is the second book in a fantasy adventure series, known as The Dark Is Rising Sequence, by British author Susan Cooper. The story follows the quest of Will Cooper, an 11-year-old British boy, who learns that he is an "Old One," which means he has magical powers and is fated to fight on behalf of the Light to save the world from the Dark. The Dark Is Rising won a Newbery Honor Award in 1974. Sign up for an account to view these lessons >>
Additional Reading Practice
- Storytelling: A Way to Share (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.1)
- From the Land of Fairy Tales (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
- The Power of Stories (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.5)
- A Hero Emerges in Italy's Ship Drama (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
Differentiated Applied Writing Lessons for Grades 4-12
- Comparing Traditional Tales: How do world cultures express their values through traditional tales?
- Risk-taking: How do you know when a risk is worth taking?
- Character and Risk: When are tempting rewards worth the risk?
- Conflict and Character: How do different characters respond to conflict?