ThinkCERCA provides a thematic alignment to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Georgia Collections for English Language Arts, specifically revised for the state of Georgia. The ThinkCERCA aligned Writing Modules (including Writing Lessons, Direct Instruction, and Reading Practice) support the content that students will be focusing on in the Georgia Collections anchor texts, standards, and performance tasks. Additional Direct Instruction resources are provided as an extra support for skills critical for success with the Collection topics and themes.
- Collection 1: Culture and Belongings
- Collection 2: The Thrill of Horror
- Collection 3: The Move Toward Freedom
- Collection 4: Approaching Adulthood
- Collection 5: Anne Frank's Legacy
- Collection 6: The Value of Work
Collection 1: Culture and Belongings
Essential Question: Explore how people develop their own identity within a new culture.
- Cultural Memoirs - How does culture help shape the people we become?
- Cultural Perception - How is our identity defined by how others perceive us?
- Family History - How do family history and traditions contribute to your identity?
- Story Structure
- Explicit vs. Inferred Information
- Informational and Explanatory Writing
- Central Ideas
- Writing Personal Narratives
Collection 2: The Thrill of Horror
Essential Question: Examine why the horror genre both terrifies and fascinates.
- Conflict and Dominance - How do conflict and the struggle for dominance affect the human spirit?
Create Your Own Lesson You could use our framework to help students plan their persuasive speeches.
Collection 3: The Move Toward Freedom
Essential Question: Focus on the quest for freedom that led tot he American Civil War.
- Civil War Poetry - How does poetry help explore various aspects of war?
Collection 4: Approaching Adulthood
Essential Question: Explore the passage from childhood to adulthood.
- Growing Up - How do authors convey themes about important moments of change in their lives to their readers?
- Distracted Driving - How can engineers and lawmakers improver driver safety and minimize driver distraction?
- Distracted Driving
- "Am I Pretty or Ugly?" Videos a Symptom of Toxic Media Culture
- Students Get Lessons in Character Building in Day Off From School
Collection 5: Anne Frank's Legacy
Essential Question: Learn about the lasting impact of a young girl and her diary.
- World War II - How prepared was the United States to fight World War II on two fronts?
- The Shadow of Kristallnacht (Note: this is a grade 11-12 lesson, but it fits the theme.)
Collection 6: The Value of Work
Essential Question: Explore the benefits and challenges that are part of being a worker.
- Entrepreneurship - How can entrepreneurs change the world?