Informational texts to accompany Jeanne Duprau's The City of Ember
The City of Ember is a young adult, post-apocalyptic, science fiction novel set in an underground city that was built nearly 250 years ago. Only intended to last 200 years, the city is decaying and citizens are running out of supplies. The story's protagonists, Lina Mayfleet and Doon Harrow, discover lost instructions from the city's founders and use those instructions to exit the city and emerge above ground. In the midst of their exit and subsequent return, Lina and Doon face criminal activity, physical danger, and familial conflicts. The City of Ember is the first book in a four-book series.
- Got Garbage? (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
- Wind Energy as a Wise Investment (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
- Geo-Medicine (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.6)
- Reducing Your Carbon Footprint (Grades 6-8; CCSS.RST.6-8.6; CCSS.WHST.6-8.1)
- The Teenage Brain (Grade 7; CCSS.RI.7.2; CCSS.W.7.2)
- Leaving the Nest (Grade 8; CCSS.RI.8.2; CCSS.W.8.2)
- Nik Wallenda Gives Us a Rarity in Modern Life: Something Real (Grade 9; CCSS.RI.9-10.2; CCSS.W.9-10.2)
- Bigger Than Either of Them? (Grades 9-10; CCSS.RST.9-10.1; CCSS.WHST.9-10.1)
- Trimming Your Carbon Footprint (Grades 9-10; CCSS.RST.9-10.6; CCSS.WHST.9-10.1)
Differentiated Writing Modules for Grades 4-12
- Risk-taking: How do you know when a risk is worth taking?
- Energy Policy: Which energy policy would make the United States most environmentally-friendly?
- Personal Energy Use: What choices can an individual make to have an impact on energy use?
- Social Responsibility: How do individuals stand up and take responsibility for changing their societies?