ThinkCERCA features differentiated Writing Modules of narrative lessons to help students feel confident and prepared for college essay writing and the narrative writing portions of new state assessments, including PARCC, Smarter Balanced, and ACT. Learn more about the format of these lessons here.
- Growing Up: How do authors convey themes about important moments of change in their lives to their readers?
- Overcoming Obstacles: How do characters develop as they face conflicts and overcome obstacles?
- The Best Laid Plans: How do authors use their characters’ plans and motives to develop the plot?
- Through Their Eyes: How do authors use point of view and perspective to affect their readers’ experience of a story?
Introductions to Key Skills & Concepts
- Writing Personal Narratives (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.W.3)
- Writing Personal Narratives (Grades 6-12; CCSS.CCRA.W.3)
- Plot (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.3)
- Plot (Grades 6-12; CCSS.CCRA.R.3)
- Characters (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.3)
- Characters (Grades 6-12; CCSS.CCRA.R.3)
- Themes (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.2)
- Themes (Grades 6-12; CCSS.CCRA.R.2)
- Point of View and Perspective (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.6)
- Point of View and Perspective (Grades 6-12; CCSS.CCRA.R.6)