Informational texts and short fiction to accompany Julia Alvarez's In the Time of the Butterflies
Set in the Dominican Republic, In the Time of the Butterflies is the story of four Mirabal sisters living through the Trujillo regime. Rafael Trujillo ruled the Dominican Republic as a dictator from 1930 through 1961; Trujillo's rule stands as one of the deadliest in history, and many Dominican citizens lost their lives as a result of his orders. In the novel, the Mirabal sisters work together to politically undermine Trujillo. Resisting Trujillo means the sisters face danger and death.
Additional Reading Practice
- Naomi Shihab Nye and the Power of Stories (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.5)
- Early Women Soldiers (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.5)
- For Dark-Skinned Mexicans, a Taint of Discrimination Lingers (Grades 9-10; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
Applied Reading and Writing Lessons
- Multiday Short Memoir: Bridges (Grade 9; CCSS.RL.9-10.2; CCSS.W.9-10.1)
- Multiday Short Memoir: Picnic Geese (Grade 10; CCSS.RL.9-10.2; CCSS.W.9-10.1)
- Homeward Bound (Grade 11; CCSS.CCRA.R.2; CCSS.W.11-12.1)
- The Stories That Bind Us (Grade 11; CCSS.RI.11-12.2; CCSS.W.11-12.1)
- Multiday Short Memoir: The Party (Grade 12; CCSS.RL.11-12.2; CCSS.W.11-12.1)
Differentiated Lesson Sets for Grades 4-12
- Cultural Memoirs: How does culture help shape the people we become?
- Family History: How do family history and traditions contribute to your identity?