ThinkCERCA provides an alignments to the enhanced scope and sequence for science developed by the New York State Department of Education. The ThinkCERCA sets (Direct Instruction, Applied Reading and Writing, and Additional Reading Practice) indicated below were selected based on alignments to NGSS Science and Engineering practices and the Common Core Learning Standards in ELA and Mathematics. Resources provided align to the expectations students are held to on the Regents exams, as well.
- Unit 1: Energy + Simple Machines
- Unit 2: Weather and the Atmosphere
- Unit 3: Diversity of Life
- Unit 4: Independence
Unit 1: Energy + Simple Machines
Essential Questions How do different forms of energy transfer and/or change matter? In what ways can energy be effectively conserved? How do machines use energy to do work? What would energy-efficient machines look like? What strategies/ideas can we pose to promote the effective use and conservation of energy?
- Forces in Sports - How do physical forces apply to sports?
- Energy Policy - Which energy policy would make the United States most environmentally friendly?
- Personal Energy Use - What choices can an individual make to have an impact on energy use?
Unit 2: Weather and the Atmosphere
Essential Questions What causes weather conditions? How do matter and energy interact to produce weather patters? Why do different locations have different weather conditions? What short-term/long-term solutions can we propose that will reduce pollution?
- Weather Prediction - To what extent can new technologies in weather predictions reduce the damage of natural disasters?
- Fossil Records - How have fossil records changed our understanding of the earth?
Unit 3: Diversity of Life
Essential Question How does the transfer of matter and energy through biological communities support the diversity of living things?
- Human Impact on Insect Biodiversity - What positive and negative effects do humans have on insect populations?
- Microorganisms in Our Environment - How do microorganism in our environment impact our lives?
Unit 4: Independence
Essential Questions In what ways are living and nonliving things dependent on each other? What factors affect the interdependence of living and nonliving things?
- The Food Chain - How do human interactions interrupt the food chain?
- Microorganisms in Our Environment - How do microorganisms in our environment impact our lives?
- Human and Animal Interactions - What positive and negative effects do human activities have on endangered animals?