Informational texts and literature to accompany Jon Katz's Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet out of Idaho
Jon Katz was a journalist who met two young men, Jesse and Eric, in the middle of nowhere, Idaho. The two considered themselves "geeks": total outsiders who were obsessed with technology but had little connection to others. Through their meeting with Katz, the two decided to move to the big city and take on new challenges and, in the process, they come to accept themselves and their identities.
Additional Reading Practice
- Screen Time Rots Your Brain (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.4)
- Albina's Cell Phone (Grades 3-5; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
- Live Wires (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
- Students Get Lessons in Character Building (Grades 6-8; CCSS.CCRA.R.8)
Differentiated Applied Writing Lessons for Grades 4-12
- Technology and Impact: What problems has technology helped us solve and what new problems has the introduction of technology created?
- Personal Identity: How is our identity shaped by how others perceive us?
- Kid Inventors: What impact have young people’s inventions had on the world?
- Risk-taking: How do you know when a risk is worth taking?