ThinkCERCA is making some changes to how rostering works to improve the quality of our class rosters, and give teachers more control over what students are in their classes.
How did Auto Rostered classes work previously?
In the past, every class in ThinkCERCA was directly tied to each section in your district rostering solution, and:
- All of a teacher’s classes in district rostering are always created in ThinkCERCA, regardless of what they want to see.
- Each section created its own separate class in ThinkCERCA.
- When a section was marked as archived, or having completed in the district rostering data, the class would no longer show in ThinkCERCA.
- Students added to or removed from the section in the district rostering would be added and removed automatically, with no control from the teacher.
How will Auto Rostered classes work now?
Now, a class in ThinkCERCA can be “synced” with district rostering.
- When a teacher creates a class, they can choose a district rostered class to sync from.
- A class in ThinkCERCA can synced to different sections over the course of the year.
- If a teacher ever wants to start managing their own roster, they can “detach” a class from rostering sync and treat it as a normal ThinkCERCA class at any time.
- If a section is marked as archived or completed in district rostering data, the class will now still exist in ThinkCERCA but be “detached” from the section. The teacher can then continue to use the class, or sync it to a new section.
- If a class is synced, students will still be added and removed automatically. If a class is no longer synced (detached), students will not be changed automatically.
I have an existing class that now shows a green checkmark and says it is synced to rostering. What do I need to do?
Nothing. Your class will work just like it did before, and all updates to your roster from district data will show up every morning.
I have an existing class that now shows a red checkmark, and I still want to use it. What do I need to do?
Nothing. Your class will work just like it did before, but will no longer update from district data. You can add or remove students manually, if you want to.
I have an existing class that now shows a red checkmark, and I want to make it sync again with the semester 2 section. What do I need to do?
To connect an existing class to a new section, click the "Update Roster Source" button on your classroom page, and choose the appropriate semester 2 section. The class will automatically update and connect to the new section, and will update automatically every day once you’ve made the connection.
I want to create a new class that syncs with my district data. How do I do that?
When creating a class, select SIS Rostering on the “Select Your Rostering Source” page. Fill out the required information, and the class will automatically stay synced with your district rostering.
I want to stop syncing my class from district data. Can I do that?
Yep! On your class page, simply choose "Update Roster Source" and set it to "Class Codes" to detach the class from the district rostering section. Now you’re fully in control of the class, and you can always re-attach it later. Be aware, though, that when you attach to a SIS section, some students may be added or archived in the sync process.
If you have any questions or need further assistance with rostering, please don't hesitate to reach firstname.lastname@example.org